Welcome to the wonderful world of fermentations, and learn about the simple methods of preserving vegetables, turning them into a whole range of tasty treasures in your kitchen.Read More
The Art and Science of Fermentation
When you think of ‘fermentation’, you might think of popular favourites such as sauerkraut, kimchi, yoghurt and even beer. They are all created by lactic fermentation. It may sound like a fancy, complex science but it’s one of the simplest and oldest methods of preserving vegetables and turning them into a whole range of tasty treasures in your kitchen.
In fact, this method of preservation can be traced as far back as 2400 BC in Ancient Mesopotamia, and it has made its way into every culinary tradition and culture in the world.
You will be given a detailed recipe booklet of everything shared in the class.
Starter fermentation kits will be available to purchase on the day. These will make your home fermentation experiment easy to start straight away.
In this hands-on workshop, you will learn:
- To make both simple & more complex fermentations using different styles and vegetables. We will go through the processes of each one step-by-step so you can replicate them easily at home.
- About the alchemical process of lactic fermentation, and about the key levers to adjust to create the perfect pickle like salt and acid.
- About the alchemical process of lactic fermentation, and about the key properties of the ingredients such as salt and acid that are used in preservation.
- Once the fermentation process is complete how to preserve and store the end result and how to sustain ongoing fermentations in a home kitchen environment.
- How to incorporate fermented foods in a variety of dishes – from simple snacks to rich entrées.
Click here to visit our Facilitator Page and scroll down to read more about Jean Torné who will be facilitating this event.
If you have any allergies or dietary requirements (e.g. Vegan or gluten-free), please let us know upon booking. We can adapt all of our dishes to accommodate your requirements.
20th January, 2024
9:00 am – 5:00 pm
The Art and Science of Fermentation participant testimonials
"Heart in a Pot helped me in keeping the momentum going after the cooking sessions of the Foundation Course. Chef Nicholas guided us, with knowledge and kindness, through every step of the preparation of a delicious hearty dinner that we then enjoyed all together. An experience that I would definitely recommend!! "
Participating in the Atelier 1-day cooking course was a beautiful, grounding, nourishing and relationally rich day. Jean was a masterful teacher, weaving in practical cooking tips with fascinating insights into the history and philosophy of organic whole-meal food. I came away feeling light, replenished, inspired, and armed with some new recipes and techniques to try out at home. I can’t recommend it enough.
I really enjoy these Heart in a Pot classes. It makes cooking healthy meals really accessible. The deep knowledge of food and seasons come through in the teaching. Even if you have made a dish before, there are cooking techniques to learn in every class and often I find myself cooking and experimenting with new variations of vegetables. It's great for beginners or to remind us how to cook wholefoods really well so they taste delicious!
The Art and Science of Fermentation programme details
Location: Concord Institute, Unit 2-4 Thane Works, London, N7 7NU
(deposit £40, non-refundable and non-transferable)